Tuesday, September 25, 2007

No Grunting?

Each day, as we walk, run, drive, or roller-blade down the street we are bombarded with signs. The inside of a gym is no different. From shameless self-promotion to advertisements to the holiday gym schedule, you could spend a day at the gym reading.
Yes, I do read all the signs. In the locker room I read about new hair products, on the treadmill I read that I can join this gym for only $20 *when I sign up a friend. How will I know if my 5:15 step class will be cancelled due to the weather? Undoubtedly there will be a sheet of printer paper taped up to a door providing me with the information I need. And also, bulletin boards and alive and well.
One day I saw a sign that I had never seen before. It was like a breath of fresh air in the overly air conditioned weight room. Taped onto the far wall, in bold, black ink was the following:

This is a NO GRUNTING AREA

Well! When I saw that, I almost fell over laughing. Here was the only rule for a weight room full of sweaty, tough, bodybuilders with 64oz bottles of Gatorade. As I entered the room, my eyes kept darting back and forth from the black and white sign to the silent bodybuilders.
Then I realized something was missing from the scene: It was the loud, competitive, grunts, moans, and cries from the weight lifters. How are they expected to lift three times their body weight without making a peep? I began to have my doubts about the new rule. It forced me to listen to James Blunt's music that was playing on the speakers...and after working out to that, I think I prefer the sounds of real men.

1 comment:

Laura S. Taylor said...

omg so funny! I wonder how they feel about the new rule,I also want to know who put that sign up